dominic(at)medialabafrica.com

dominic(at)medialabafrica.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Five: Tea Time In Mali



Let's not get this confused in any way with tea time in Great Britain or the highly stylized ritual of a Japanese tea ceremony but then again they all have something in common. In Mali, as in many parts of the world sharing a beverage can be part of a welcoming or greeting. "Let's grab a cup of coffee sometime"  often really means, "Let's talk  and get acquainted." Tea drinking in Mali and most of West Africa is just about the same thing; it's a greeting. It's a long process and can often be a test of your patience. A little confession, I'm truly addicted to Malian tea. I can drink the stuff  5 or 6 times a day and still could go for more.  Depending who's making the tea I get quite the caffeine buzz well beyond Starbuck's best. On the other hand the process of brewing this fabulous drink is incredibly complex and time consuming. I've watched the ritual, and it is truly a ritual, dozens of times, asked questions, wrote down instructions, and yet I haven't a clue. I might be a little thick but I think I have to give part of the credit for my confusion to the fact that I have yet to get the same set of directions twice.

Keep in mind this is an abbreviated version of the tea making process. To me it all seems the cycle of pouring and emptying goes on for hours. I'm sure this clip eliminates several of the iterations. The hell with it. I just want my tea!